• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Breakdown In Civil Order

Homelessness needs to be stopped by “getting rid of” people? Maybe some death camps would make you happy?
This is a stupid tactic to use in argument. It's ridiculous and insulting hyperbole, it doesn't reflect what anyone has actually said. You're making shit up out of your own imagination and then attributing it to other posters. It's dishonest.
So what are conservatives asking for?
Go ask a conservative and find out.
I am asking. Any conservative may answer, if you are shy.

Smells faintly like gas chambers.
:unsure: Widely held opinion: There are a whole lot of homeless people here, it's a serious problem. It's unsafe, unclean, and we need to do something about it. Just ignoring it all and letting people camp wherever they want isn't a viable solution.

:eek: Elixir & Jarhyn & Politesse: OMG, you want to murderfy the poor homeless people, you horrible evil nazi, you want to stuff them into gas chambers!!!111!111eleventyone!!!
I didn't actually say that. It's pretty obvious that the Republican "solution" to homelessness is mass incarceration, not execution.

I didn't actually say that. It's pretty obvious that the Republican "solution" to homelessness is mass incarceration.
And “expulsion”. Don’t forget expulsion.
And other forms of disappearance.

OMG, you want to murderfy the poor homeless people, you horrible evil nazi, you want to stuff them into gas chambers!
Don’t be so hard on yourself @Emily Lake.
Trump could lose, and lose his little civil war too. And if he doesn’t, hey -
You’ll be no more culpable than the average 1930s German, minding their own business and enjoying the on-time trains.

Homelessness needs to be stopped by “getting rid of” people? Maybe some death camps would make you happy?
This is a stupid tactic to use in argument. It's ridiculous and insulting hyperbole, it doesn't reflect what anyone has actually said. You're making shit up out of your own imagination and then attributing it to other posters. It's dishonest.
So what are conservatives asking for?
Go ask a conservative and find out.
I am asking. Any conservative may answer, if you are shy.
I'm not a conservative. And I'm certainly not shy.

I didn't actually say that. It's pretty obvious that the Republican "solution" to homelessness is mass incarceration.
And “expulsion”. Don’t forget expulsion.
And other forms of disappearance.

OMG, you want to murderfy the poor homeless people, you horrible evil nazi, you want to stuff them into gas chambers!
Don’t be so hard on yourself @Emily Lake.
Trump could lose, and lose his little civil war too. And if he doesn’t, hey -
You’ll be no more culpable than the average 1930s German, minding their own business and enjoying the on-time trains.
Oh do kindly stuff your head down a hole for a while and give it a rest.

A homeless man is facing an attempted murder charge in connection with the strangulation attack of another man in Santa Monica, according to police. The suspect, later identified as 31-year-old John Broeksmit of Illinois, ran away from the scene before police arrived but was eventually arrested. According to police, Broeksmit was arrested in Los Angeles for burglary just four days before the alleged assault. Broeksmit has prior arrests in California this year for other charges including possession of a weapon on school grounds and tampering with a fire alarm.

News

It is very bad now.

A homeless man is facing an attempted murder charge in connection with the strangulation attack of another man in Santa Monica, according to police. The suspect, later identified as 31-year-old John Broeksmit of Illinois, ran away from the scene before police arrived but was eventually arrested. According to police, Broeksmit was arrested in Los Angeles for burglary just four days before the alleged assault. Broeksmit has prior arrests in California this year for other charges including possession of a weapon on school grounds and tampering with a fire alarm.

News

It is very bad now.
No, it really isn't.

The Compstat data was analyzed by independent news organization Crosstown LA, which noted 198 homicides that took place within LAPD jurisdiction from Jan. 1 through Aug. 31.

While ideally that homicide figure would be closer to zero, the 2024 rate of deadly violence is still vastly better than what was experienced during the heyday of the coronavirus pandemic.

“The current count represents a 28.3% decline from the 276 murders during the same period in
2022,” Crosstown reported.

If the current pace continues, L.A. could finish the year with fewer than 300 homicides — something that hasn’t happened in the previous four years.

News

There's on average a murder roughly every day in LA. Which is better than it has been for years. But with 300 murders a year, it us neither revealing nor remarkable that you can find an example of one perpetrated by a homeless person.

It would be remarkable if you could not; If homeless people commit murder at the average rate of residents of the city of Los Angeles, then there would be an example for you to point to about three or four times a year.

I see nothing to suggest that it's "very bad now". It seems that it was much worse in the fairly recent past.

News

It is very bad now.
It must have been especially gratifying for you to find an anecdote about a homeless murderer from Illinois.
Tom

News

It is very bad now.
It must have been especially gratifying for you to find an anecdote about a homeless murderer from Illinois.
Tom
Zackly what I was thinking.

Strawmanning is abuse.
Being mistaken is different than strawmanning.
True. If somebody new to the forum were to post messages like those we should probably give him the benefit of the doubt and presume the misrepresentations might be due to mere idiocy. But bilby has 35,000 posts under his belt. We know he's not an idiot.
Disagreement over conclusions are not evidence of intention (something straw manning requires). If bilby is correct, your accusations are not straw manning. If bilby is incorrect in good faith, it is not straw manning. Making a mistake is not the exclusive province of idiots.
Where do you place blatant mischaracterization in your hierarchy of what constitutes an innocent mistake?
If the mischaracterization - blatant or not - is in good faith, it is an innocent mistake.

News

It is very bad now.
Tom
Maybe he’s right that all the homeless people are moving to California.

I may have to rethink my move to Santa Monica now. It may not be the climate paradise I was being sold.

News

It is very bad now.
Tom
Maybe he’s right that all the homeless people are moving to California.

I may have to rethink my move to Santa Monica now. It may not be the climate paradise I was being sold.
Yeah, try Florida, I hear the weather is a lot more chill.

Back
Top Bottom