• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Split Legalized Prostitution split from GOP: The party of idiots

To notify a split thread.
The girls are safer as part of an organized system
If that was their priority they would work legally outside city limits.
A bunch of independents can be picked off one by one by the police
Their customers? :rolleyes:
While there are multiple outfits in town the cooperate in that regard
There's nothing keeping illegal operators from communicating either.
The overall result is they operate quite openly
Do they? I've spent a bunch of four day stretches in Reno and LV, and never saw them "operating quite openly" at all. If that's because I'm not in the 'right' place, that would be a little mystifying because it's usually where the biggest, or one of the biggest conventions is happening. Prime territory, I'd think. Of course the frequency of risqué behavior in those downtowns might be masking it all to the uninitiated, which I admit to being.

Okay then, the governing bodies must simply not want the revenue.
🙄
Do you think they make more from illegal prostitution? You should know better. It’s about the bottom line.
I'm certainly not claiming to know. But it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that the people who really run Vegas, the moguls not the government, simply don't want to share the revenue with the government.
🤷
Tom
Sounds like a hell of a stretch. A Statewide mob running all the illegal prostitution? Not likely. Separate mobs running Reno and LV? Hmmm.
I bet most of the illegal prostitution is run out of people’s homes, by the person/ people who live there.
Disagree. The girls are safer as part of an organized system and it avoid them needing to deal with all aspects of the business, let alone how many calls would go to voicemail while she was with a client. A bunch of independents can be picked off one by one by the police, the organized systems the police could pick off one and then the word would be out, that is a sting and it wouldn't catch anyone else. While there are multiple outfits in town the cooperate in that regard, telling each other about stings. The overall result is they operate quite openly, the police leave them alone so long as they don't cause problems.
Girls? Surely you mean adult prostitutes who might be male, female or trans or whatever, right? RIGHT?

I am certain that prostitutes ARE safer as part of an organized group just as drug dealers are safer if they are part of a gang or cartel. It helps discourage both the competing prostitution gangs and the police from hasseling them. But there is a big difference between safer and safe.

You don't think that prostitutes are clever enough to be able to arrange a booking site without the aid of pimps? Or voice messages? Wow.

Apparently, there really is no reason to legalize since prostitutes work with impunity wherever they are tolerated. Like drug dealers.

🙄
Do you think they make more from illegal prostitution? You should know better. It’s about the bottom line.
I'm certainly not claiming to know. But it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that the people who really run Vegas, the moguls not the government, simply don't want to share the revenue with the government.
🤷
Tom
Sounds like a hell of a stretch. A Statewide mob running all the illegal prostitution? Not likely. Separate mobs running Reno and LV? Hmmm.
I bet most of the illegal prostitution is run out of people’s homes, by the person/ people who live there.
Disagree. The girls are safer as part of an organized system and it avoid them needing to deal with all aspects of the business, let alone how many calls would go to voicemail while she was with a client. A bunch of independents can be picked off one by one by the police, the organized systems the police could pick off one and then the word would be out, that is a sting and it wouldn't catch anyone else. While there are multiple outfits in town the cooperate in that regard, telling each other about stings. The overall result is they operate quite openly, the police leave them alone so long as they don't cause problems.
"One of the Patrician’s greatest contributions to the reliable operation of Ankh-Morpork had been, very early in his administration, the legalising of the ancient Guild of Thieves. Crime was always with us, he reasoned, and therefore, if you were going to have crime, it at least should be organised crime."

- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

The girls are safer as part of an organized system
If that was their priority they would work legally outside city limits.
A bunch of independents can be picked off one by one by the police
Their customers? :rolleyes:
While there are multiple outfits in town the cooperate in that regard
There's nothing keeping illegal operators from communicating either.
The overall result is they operate quite openly
Do they? I've spent a bunch of four day stretches in Reno and LV, and never saw them "operating quite openly" at all. If that's because I'm not in the 'right' place, that would be a little mystifying because it's usually where the biggest, or one of the biggest conventions is happening. Prime territory, I'd think. Of course the frequency of risqué behavior in those downtowns might be masking it all to the uninitiated, which I admit to being.

mobile-advertising-billboard-advertising-direct-to-room-girls-on-the-D1MWY3.jpg

It is my understanding that this is exactly what it appears to be--an ad for prostitutes. And that truck is driving down the Las Vegas Strip. And while I can't swear I saw exactly that truck I have seen it's like more than once.

And in the past there would be people handing out ads to individuals/groups not containing any women outside the convention centers. Low quality printing but even more explicit than that truck. I've lost track of where the legal battles on them stand and I've had no reason to be in a convention center for more than a decade now. (And I actually somewhat take the city's side on that. Yes, freedom of speech, but the litter it causes is an issue. Those new to the situation accept the paper, see what it is and throw it on the ground immediately. I suspect the recent law against sidewalk vendors will stop them.)

🙄
🤷
Tom
Girls? Surely you mean adult prostitutes who might be male, female or trans or whatever, right? RIGHT?
"Girls" is the common term. I presume derived from "working girls".
You don't think that prostitutes are clever enough to be able to arrange a booking site without the aid of pimps? Or voice messages? Wow.
Which is more likely to get a client--the one whose calls usually go to voicemail, or the group that has a dedicated phone-answerer/dispatcher? If you're engaged in any high $/hr occupation you're better off hiring out scheduling than doing it yourself. Why should prostitutes be any different? But one prostitute doesn't need one scheduler so it's cheaper to work as a group. What's surprising about people using the most advantageous business model??

🙄
🤷
Tom
"Girls" is the common term. I presume derived from "working girls".
Which is more likely to get a client--the one whose calls usually go to voicemail, or the group that has a dedicated phone-answerer/dispatcher? If you're engaged in any high $/hr occupation you're better off hiring out scheduling than doing it yourself. Why should prostitutes be any different? But one prostitute doesn't need one scheduler so it's cheaper to work as a group. What's surprising about people using the most advantageous business model??
Oh, I understand the economies of scale in working as a group. I don’t see the value of having a pump/master/owner/enforcer. That is if prostitution were as safe as you seem to claim. But it’s not. If it were, there would be no need for the kind of security/guards that are required.

It is my understanding that this is exactly what it appears to be--an ad for prostitutes. And that truck is driving down the Las Vegas Strip. And while I can't swear I saw exactly that truck I have seen it's like more than once.
It just says they "want to meet you". That's pretty wholesome, right?

How come they never look that way in real life. I've seen street walkers who looked like walking puss sores. Pretty Woman they ain't.

Oh, I understand the economies of scale in working as a group. I don’t see the value of having a pump/master/owner/enforcer. That is if prostitution were as safe as you seem to claim. But it’s not. If it were, there would be no need for the kind of security/guards that are required.
And where did I say anything about pimp/master/owner/enforcer??? That's purely you trying to impose your faith on what I did say. You are making assumptions about the power flow that AFIAK none of actually knows.

How come they never look that way in real life. I've seen street walkers who looked like walking puss sores. Pretty Woman they ain't.
You realize outcall is much higher end than streetwalker? I do not know how accurate the pictures are but your comparison is not valid.

And where did I say anything about pimp/master/owner/enforcer??? That's purely you trying to impose your faith on what I did say. You are making assumptions about the power flow that AFIAK none of actually knows.
No, you seem to believe that the only way a prostitute can earn a good living is to have someone to manage their appointments, and handle all the pesky business details. I’m certain some prefer that kind of set up. But certainly not all refer to work in that kind of set up.

It’s almost as though you believe women ( since you seem to feel prostitutes are at least female even if some cannot necessarily be considered adult women) cannot be in charge of their sex lives. Is the business set up to keep the customers in line? Or the prostitutes?

Every market can be divided into strata and segments. You can get 6 ounces of steak for about $9 at Western Sizzlin or you can pay $90 at Ruth's Chris. Either way, you get a meal.

The street walkers you saw are more of the unlicensed tamales sold out of the trunk of a car market segment.

The "Pretty Woman" market segment will cost a lot more, but you're paying more for her to pretend she actually likes you, than for the sex. Back when Craig's List had a section for "Adult Services", it was common the ads offering GFE and FGFE. This is Girlfriend Experience and the premium Full Girlfriend Experience.

No, you seem to believe that the only way a prostitute can earn a good living is to have someone to manage their appointments, and handle all the pesky business details. I’m certain some prefer that kind of set up. But certainly not all refer to work in that kind of set up.

It’s almost as though you believe women ( since you seem to feel prostitutes are at least female even if some cannot necessarily be considered adult women) cannot be in charge of their sex lives. Is the business set up to keep the customers in line? Or the prostitutes?
You seem to think that the power inherently is with the other side. I'm not saying that.

You seem to think that the power inherently is with the other side. I'm not saying that.
I don’t know what you mean by ‘the other side.’ I also am guessing that women control sex and are all powerful in that respect.

I don’t know what you mean by ‘the other side.’ I also am guessing that women control sex and are all powerful in that respect.
You seem to feel that the people running it have all the power--but we don't see that in other industries where independent workers/separate business systems work. It's common in many personal service fields. Hairdressers, massage, I know a Pilates studio that works that way etc. Some are flat rate, some are percentage. Bad boss, the workers go elsewhere.

You seem to feel that the people running it have all the power--but we don't see that in other industries where independent workers/separate business systems work. It's common in many personal service fields. Hairdressers, massage, I know a Pilates studio that works that way etc. Some are flat rate, some are percentage. Bad boss, the workers go elsewhere.
I also know plenty of hair stylists. When someone decides they are the boss, the stylists leave and form independent salons sharing space ( and rent, expenses) and covering each other where necessary.

So I totally do NOT see the need for brothels or pimps.

Except that customers can be violent jerks who put the sex worker’s health, wellbeing and very lives at risk. No hairdresser would agree to work with a client who was abusive. Nor plumber, electrician, etc. Why should a sex worker?

Back
Top Bottom