• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Share your recipes

I have Dave Lister to thank for the realisation that fried eggs NEED chilli sauce to be complete. Now I'm taking culinary advice from fictional characters. But it's brilliant!

Frank's hot sauce is great on scrambled. I've tried Dave's Insanity Sauce but that stuff is just insane. :eek:

I have Dave Lister to thank for the realisation that fried eggs NEED chilli sauce to be complete. Now I'm taking culinary advice from fictional characters. But it's brilliant!

Frank's hot sauce is great on scrambled. I've tried Dave's Insanity Sauce but that stuff is just insane. :eek:

HP Sauce or Worcestershire Sauce are the only things that should go on eggs, and it doesn't matter if they are fried, poached or scrambled!

Hmm, never tried WS on eggs. Don't usually keep it around the house because my wife doesn't like it at all. Like it very much on beef but we don't eat a lot of beef. Mostly chicken with honey mustard.

Boil and Bake BBQ Ribs:

First, these are awesome. I love good BBQ ribs but they're expensive and most of the time they're disappointing--at least here in SoCal. So I learned how to make these and was shocked at how good they are.

1 rack baby back ribs
Boil for an hour: throw in some garlic, paprika--whatever suits you
Put into 325 degree oven and smother with sauce of your choice
Bake on one side for half an hour, then flip them over and bake for another half an hour. You may want to add a little more sauce at that point.

Give 'em 20 minutes or so to cool and you'll be surprised at damn good they are. The only thing you can't get with this method is that crispy bit of outer coating that comes with a smoker. But being that you can make these yourself in two hours total, with about 10 minutes worth of work for a total cost of $20, and that you can graze on them for 4 straight meals, it's a small sacrifice. And your dog will love you for it.

If you really want to do it right you can make your own sauce, but the ingredients for doing so tend to dramatically drive up the cost. I once spent almost $30 gathering stuff like molasses for my own sauce, and while it great, it wasn't good enough to justify the price.

I came to this thread with very high expectations when I saw that Colonel Sanders was the last one to Share Your Recipes.

Did like the rib recipe.

Boiled P-nuts

After washing them thouroughly and taking off the stems, place green peanuts in large pot of water and get them to boiling. Be generous with the salt. Let's say you're cooking 5 pounds or so for 4 hours. You'll probably start nibbling quite a bit before the 3rd hour, and if they are not juicy and salty, there's a reason, and the reason is because you didn't put the salt and water in the actual peanuts themselves.

But how do you do that? The secret! The secret is drastic temperature reduction. As you furiously boil them and they're hot as all get-out, you'll notice water evaporation, and that's when your chance to embrace the secret comes upon you.

Add a good heapin' portion of cold (yes, cold) water and remove from heat--even if they ain't done. The hot juicy salty (come to me my dearest peanut) water will rush (oh so quick it shall rush) into the very peanuts yearning to be your tasty treat of comfort. Let it sit about 20 minutes. They'll still be hot, but put them back on the stove and crank it up till the water is way too hot to touch then back off to a moderate heat--as they continue to cook.

boiled peanuts are way too much work.

You just need to drive around Savannah, Ga. and buy a bag of them. There was usually a guy with a pot of them going by the road on a vacant lot. At least that is what I did when I lived there. Yum! A friend, "Dirty Dan" tried selling them in jars in local stores - that didn't work so well for him. Maybe people were turned off a little by "Dirty Dan's boiled peanuts" and his goofy picture on the label.

Wally

Quick question for you foodies. What are the thin red peppers that are used in spicy Chinese dishes such as Mongolian beef? Most of the recipes I've looked up on line don't use peppers or use red pepper flakes. I'd like to use them in my own cooking but I'm not sure what to get.

Those are actually dragon peppers. They are generally smaller and hotter than most chili pepper varieties, but as with any pepper there can be considerable variance in the heat range. Dragon peppers are between 50,00-100,000 Scovilles, whereas only the hottest red chili pepper varieties break 50,000 Scovilles.

As Mardi Gras is fast approaching, I thought I would share my recipe for jambalaya. It is a single pot recipe, and will require a large, heavy pot. I also tend not to measure things out, and rather just taste often and adjust accordingly. This recipe will fed up to 10 people, possibly more, so scale accordingly if you are feeding just a few, unless you want tons of leftovers (depending on how it is stored and reheated jambalaya can be even better the next day, or it can end up an unappealing bowl of mush). I tend to prep for the next step as I cook the current step, and also enlist family members to help me prep as I cook. If you are prepping everything ahead of time, try having a beer between steps, or turn the heat up a notch or two. Just don't forget to stir constantly after the onions are added.

Start with enough olive oil to just cover the bottom of the pot, and set to medium heat. Add two or three large garlic cloves, minced, and cook until the garlic is getting very fragrant (usually just enough time to prepare the onion for the next step). Add one large white onion, chopped, and cook until the onion is translucent.

Add 2-3 pounds of uncooked chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces or smaller. Cook until the chicken is done.

Add 2-3 bell peppers, diced (I tend to use a variety of bell pepper colors, green, yellow, red, and/or orange to give the jambalaya a more festive look, but green peppers alone will do fine). Add 3-4 celery stalks, chopped.

Add two large diced tomatoes, and 1 or two diced hot peppers (cayenne is traditional, but if you prefer it a bit spicier, go for some habeneros), you can use two cans of Rotel here, instead of the tomatoes and hot peppers, if you want to save some prep time.

Add 2 pounds of andouille sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces (if you can't find andouille, kielbasa will do in a pinch, but is not recommended).

Now is time to start adding spices (all measures are approximate, as I don't actually measure them out), 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika, 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano, 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme, 1 teaspoon cajun or creole seasoning, 1 teaspoon chili powder. Give it a good stir, put a lid on it, and let it simmer for a few minutes while you have a beer (just make sure you stir every minute or so), most of the hard work is done at this point.

Now (before adding rice) is an important time to taste the jambalaya, and add more spices if needed, I usually have to throw in a dash of dried cayenne pepper at the very least. Once you have the spices right, toss 3 cups white rice into the pot, and add about the same amount of chicken stock (there should be just enough chicken stock to cover all of the other ingredients, so add more if necessary). Turn the heat up to high, and bring to a boil. Cover and drop the heat to medium-low, cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed, and the rice is done, you may have to add more chicken stock, or some water if the liquid is absorbed, and the rice is still crunchy. Also, make sure you are stirring every few minutes, to keep the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Jambalaya should be moist, and not soupy, but err on the side of more liquid in the pot, as you can always bring the heat up to medium and keep it cooking uncovered to get the consistency you like.

Taste the pot again, the addition of rice and chicken stock will have diminished the spices, so you are probably going to need to add a little more here, and give it another good stir. Let it cook uncovered for another 5-10 minutes, stirring and tasting occasionally, while having another beer. The intent here is to get the entire house smelling like jambalaya, and your friends/family drooling in anticipation. Serve piping hot with a nice baguette or two for dipping.

Jambalaya purists will note that there is no shellfish in my recipe. The reason is simple, my daughter won't eat shellfish, so I don't use it. On the rare occasions when she is not home, I reduce the chicken by a pound or so, and add in that much peeled shrimp, and a couple of bay leaves just before adding the sausage. I understand that crawfish can be used in the same proportion, but I have never tried it myself. Some people also like to use chopped ham as well, so feel free to toss some in the pot before adding the rice, after having reduced your other meats proportionally.

HP Sauce or Worcestershire Sauce are the only things that should go on eggs, and it doesn't matter if they are fried, poached or scrambled!

Funny you should mention that. Scrambled eggs are why I like spicy food.

You see, I hate cooked eggs. Very much. Since my mother is Japanese, this meant I that I was served scrambled eggs every morning because for some unfathomable reason, in the cultures of the far east, "I hate food X" comes across as "please serve me X as often as possible." No idea why that is, but I've learned never to tell Japanese people or Chinese people that I don't like seafood. If they serve it to me, I just don't eat the seafood and eat everything else without saying anything. Saying anything results in me getting more seafood.

Anyway, I quickly learned that if I dumped a bunch of sauce on the eggs, the eggs tasted slightly less horrible. I started out with things like ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and Japanese tonkatsu sauce, but eventually I figured out that enough hot sauce made the flavor go away almost entirely.

Thus I became addicted to really spicy food at an early age.

As Mardi Gras is fast approaching, I thought I would share my recipe for jambalaya. It is a single pot recipe, and will require a large, heavy pot. I also tend not to measure things out, and rather just taste often and adjust accordingly. This recipe will fed up to 10 people, possibly more, so scale accordingly if you are feeding just a few, unless you want tons of leftovers (depending on how it is stored and reheated jambalaya can be even better the next day, or it can end up an unappealing bowl of mush). I tend to prep for the next step as I cook the current step, and also enlist family members to help me prep as I cook. If you are prepping everything ahead of time, try having a beer between steps, or turn the heat up a notch or two. Just don't forget to stir constantly after the onions are added.

Start with enough olive oil to just cover the bottom of the pot, and set to medium heat. Add two or three large garlic cloves, minced, and cook until the garlic is getting very fragrant (usually just enough time to prepare the onion for the next step). Add one large white onion, chopped, and cook until the onion is translucent.

Add 2-3 pounds of uncooked chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces or smaller. Cook until the chicken is done.

Add 2-3 bell peppers, diced (I tend to use a variety of bell pepper colors, green, yellow, red, and/or orange to give the jambalaya a more festive look, but green peppers alone will do fine). Add 3-4 celery stalks, chopped.

Add two large diced tomatoes, and 1 or two diced hot peppers (cayenne is traditional, but if you prefer it a bit spicier, go for some habeneros), you can use two cans of Rotel here, instead of the tomatoes and hot peppers, if you want to save some prep time.

Add 2 pounds of andouille sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces (if you can't find andouille, kielbasa will do in a pinch, but is not recommended).

Now is time to start adding spices (all measures are approximate, as I don't actually measure them out), 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika, 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano, 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme, 1 teaspoon cajun or creole seasoning, 1 teaspoon chili powder. Give it a good stir, put a lid on it, and let it simmer for a few minutes while you have a beer (just make sure you stir every minute or so), most of the hard work is done at this point.

Now (before adding rice) is an important time to taste the jambalaya, and add more spices if needed, I usually have to throw in a dash of dried cayenne pepper at the very least. Once you have the spices right, toss 3 cups white rice into the pot, and add about the same amount of chicken stock (there should be just enough chicken stock to cover all of the other ingredients, so add more if necessary). Turn the heat up to high, and bring to a boil. Cover and drop the heat to medium-low, cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed, and the rice is done, you may have to add more chicken stock, or some water if the liquid is absorbed, and the rice is still crunchy. Also, make sure you are stirring every few minutes, to keep the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Jambalaya should be moist, and not soupy, but err on the side of more liquid in the pot, as you can always bring the heat up to medium and keep it cooking uncovered to get the consistency you like.

Taste the pot again, the addition of rice and chicken stock will have diminished the spices, so you are probably going to need to add a little more here, and give it another good stir. Let it cook uncovered for another 5-10 minutes, stirring and tasting occasionally, while having another beer. The intent here is to get the entire house smelling like jambalaya, and your friends/family drooling in anticipation. Serve piping hot with a nice baguette or two for dipping.

Jambalaya purists will note that there is no shellfish in my recipe. The reason is simple, my daughter won't eat shellfish, so I don't use it. On the rare occasions when she is not home, I reduce the chicken by a pound or so, and add in that much peeled shrimp, and a couple of bay leaves just before adding the sausage. I understand that crawfish can be used in the same proportion, but I have never tried it myself. Some people also like to use chopped ham as well, so feel free to toss some in the pot before adding the rice, after having reduced your other meats proportionally.

sounds good.

Quick question for you foodies. What are the thin red peppers that are used in spicy Chinese dishes such as Mongolian beef? Most of the recipes I've looked up on line don't use peppers or use red pepper flakes. I'd like to use them in my own cooking but I'm not sure what to get.

Those are actually dragon peppers. They are generally smaller and hotter than most chili pepper varieties, but as with any pepper there can be considerable variance in the heat range. Dragon peppers are between 50,00-100,000 Scovilles, whereas only the hottest red chili pepper varieties break 50,000 Scovilles.

Generally speaking (not always the case), the smaller varieties are hotter, the larger ones (e.g. poblano) are milder.

Chocolate pawpaw mousse

1 cup pawpaw pulp
1.5 cups soymilk
.5 cup water
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbsp ground flax
1 Tbsp ground chia seed
2 Tbsp walnuts
2 Tbsp raw pumpkin seed
2 Tbsp ground oats
1 Tbsp hemp seed
sweetener if desired.

Toss everything into blender and blend until creamy. Chill and eat.

I use the coffee grinder to grind things up before going into the blender.

Tiger Sauce has been a favorite of mine for a few years now. Eggs, meat, seafood, many side dishes. Anything that might need a little something extra. It is a thin sweet and sour sauce with a bit of a kick to it. I like it because it does not have the strong vinegar taste I notice in hot sauce.

Tonight we had pork fillet - one of our favourite proteins.

I sprinkle and rub salt and pepper on the outside and then seared it in a pan as hot as I can get it, then put it in a 160C oven for 20 - 30 minutes. It comes out delectable! However, we only have about a 100g piece each.

Served with a fresh garden salad - YUMMY!

Tiger Sauce has been a favorite of mine for a few years now. Eggs, meat, seafood, many side dishes. Anything that might need a little something extra. It is a thin sweet and sour sauce with a bit of a kick to it. I like it because it does not have the strong vinegar taste I notice in hot sauce.

Well, yeah, that kind of hot sauce is basically spicy vinegar (not necessarily a bad thing).

I sprinkle and rub salt and pepper on the outside and then seared it in a pan as hot as I can get it, then put it in a 160C oven for 20 - 30 minutes. It comes out delectable! However, we only have about a 100g piece each.

You've been watching too many wanky TV chefs. Pork fillet isn't a 'protein', it's a 'meat'.

Acetylcholinesterase is a protein. Keratin is a protein. Meat is muscle tissue from animals; it contains proteins, fats, carbohydrates, and a slew of other components in small quantities, (porphyrins, glyco-proteins, phospho-lpids, nucleic acids, all kinds of stuff).

Gordon fucking Ramsay is not a good person from whom to learn vocabulary.

You've been watching too many wanky TV chefs. Pork fillet isn't a 'protein', it's a 'meat'.

Acetylcholinesterase is a protein. Keratin is a protein. Meat is muscle tissue from animals; it contains proteins, fats, carbohydrates, and a slew of other components in small quantities, (porphyrins, glyco-proteins, phospho-lpids, nucleic acids, all kinds of stuff).

Gordon fucking Ramsay is not a good person from whom to learn vocabulary.

Yes Dear! :/

Back
Top Bottom