• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

Temperatures are supposed to stay relatively low today (80 degrees and cloudy) so I plan to slow cook some St Louis style rubs in the oven so that I'll have a couple days of leftovers.

The cats and I are the only ones here for a few days as the boys are in Maine with my wife.

I chopped up a blade roast the other day for a stew ($5kg cheaper than buying gravy beef etc), and it wouldn’t all fit in the pan, so the leftover meat has been in a ziplock for 2 days in the fridge. I’ll parcook some potatoes etc and cook up the meat up with them and voila - dinner!

I chopped up a blade roast the other day for a stew ($5kg cheaper than buying gravy beef etc), and it wouldn’t all fit in the pan, so the leftover meat has been in a ziplock for 2 days in the fridge. I’ll parcook some potatoes etc and cook up the meat up with them and voila - dinner!
I got one of those vacuum sealers a while back. I absolutely love it. Great deal on meat? Stock up, seal it, and freeze it.

I'm looking forward to my leftover pork ribs, some Boston baked beans and egg and potato salad for dinner. I usually have a large salad or similar with dinner but tonight I'm making an exception.

Last night's midnight snack: air fryer "pizza." Whole wheat bolillos, buttered, seasoned with basil, garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper, topped with slices of tomato and parmesan cheese and an extra sprinkle of basil on top, then 3-4 minutes in the air fryer. Aren't they gorgeous?

air_fryer_pizza.jpg

Today I made Eggs Benedict a la Tharmas. The variation is that instead of Canadian bacon ("back bacon" for our Canadian friends), I use pork sausage patties. I think it turns out well, and so does Ms Tharmas.

Cut up a roma tomato and a ripe avocado. As simple a "salad" as it can get. No dressing. For lunch, some frozen fried rice and some oriental stir fry veggies. A bit of sweet and sour sauce. Microwaved.

Lazy.

Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Roasted a chicken but didn't have the energy to make proper stuffing and stuff the bird. Also too lazy to cut up an onion. Or bacon.

Sprinkled some rolled oats and mixed herbs in the pan with the bird and walked away.

Ate those rolled oats out of a bowl, with bits of the bird on top.

Currently satisfied, but ashamed of myself.

Been gorging on big beautiful homegrown tomatoes and potatoes with whatever else. It’s a short season but we put up tomatoes and they’re great in the middle of winter. Meanwhile, fresh, there’s nothing like them!

I had a huge veggie burger with an enormous side of sweet potato fries at one of our local restaurants for lunch today. Luckily, one of my parrots loves the fries so she finished them for me. I'm beginning to really hate meat, not because I think it's unhealthy. In fact, I need some for my chronic anemia because I don't seem to absorb non heme sources of iron very well. I just hate the thought of animals being killed for me to eat, especially considering how most of them come from factory farms. Still, I did have some honey chicken with a nice side of fresh veggies last night. I just try not to think about how that chicken might have been raised and killed.
Apparently, chicken in our country that are raised for food are done so according to RSPCA standards, so I feel less guilty.

View attachment 46648

On the chronic anaemia front… my mum suffers that too in that her iron levels are consistently low. She has been having iron infusions twice a year for quite a while now, and they are starting to investigate why. So far nothing wrong with her gut, and she is having a CT colonoscopy soon to see if there is a problem there.
I only buy the free range chicken from the grocery store, but who knows where the chicken comes from when we eat out?

My anemia started over 25 years ago when I was drinking about 4 liters of iced tea a day when I worked as a quality assurance nurse. I sipped it all day long. I discovered that tea can inhibit the absorption of iron. None of my doctors knew this. My H and H were extremely low, but oral iron always brings it back up. My doctor was convinced I had a GI bleed, so I had a colonoscopy and nothing abnormal was found. I've drastically cut back on my tea intake over the years I now make a small pot of very weak tea, fill a glass with ice and drink no more than 2 or 3 glasses a day. My H and H are low, but nothing like they were originally. I'm on iron now, but I'll only take it for a month or two. I've refuse the IV iron. I refuse at least half of what providers order for me and yet despite my chronic pain, I have no health problems, other than osteoarthritis and osteoporosis. Hope you mum has or had some good results from her procedure. And, I never feel tired when I'm anemic. I don't worry about it.

Oh, what are we eating? Tonight it will be black beans and rice with tomatoes, onions and cheese. That's one of my favorite dishes and very healthy as well. We will probably eat lunch at Longhorn Steak House, but I'll have a chicken sandwich with a side of broccoli or maybe a salad with nuts and fruit. They have really good, cheap lunch specials.

Depending on when I get back from getting my hair done, and when Bilby gets home, it’s either pizza or fend for ourselves….
We do frozen dinners a couple of times a week since my cook is no longer as motivated but the black beans and rice were delicious that we had tonight. He knows how to cook them perfectly.

My breakfast sandwich is a specialty bread I like, fried egg, ham, cheese, and a sesame dressing.

Another of my regular breakfasts is eggs scramble with ham,onions, and peppers with cold rice and beans in the microwave.

Add a little hot sauce or a tomato sauce.

Not so much what I ate today, but a disturbing statistic.
12% of Americans eat 50% of the beef!
And they are mostly men.
My dog, I am not a vegan, but that is almost disgusting.
Beef production is least green of all.

Not so much what I ate today, but a disturbing statistic.
12% of Americans eat 50% of the beef!
And they are mostly men.
My dog, I am not a vegan, but that is almost disgusting.
Beef production is least green of all.
Mr. Sohy eats a lot more beef than I do, but he doesn't eat it more than 2 or 3 times a week and sometimes I shame him when he does. We never have it more than once a week at home, and with very few exceptions, I don't even like beef, or most meat for that matter. I'm into beans, black beans, blacked eyed peas and refried beans if we have Mexican food. Beens have plenty of protein are delicious, cheap and tasty. I ate some three times last week, mostly good Southern black eyes peas, which are actually beans. I probably eat vegan or at least 4 days a week or at least vegetarian. I'm trying to find non meat sources of iron and recently discovered that dark chocolate is pretty high in iron, so why not indulge a bit? it's going to be frozen dinners tonight. I had shrimp, fried okra and Cole slaw for lunch at a local seafood place.

A cold ground beef sandwich with cucumber, lettuce, and sesame dressing.

Canned tomato soup adding elbow macaroni and beans.

Back
Top Bottom