• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Drag Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, personally, find drag icky. But it isn't dangerous or anything.

Where I stand, also.

And as for strip clubs, I've been a member of naturist clubs. I don't have the tiniest problem with the human form as God made it. As far as I'm concerned, people wear way to much clothing. At least in hot months, like Indiana in July. The problem l have with strip clubs is the sexualising and objectifing, not the boobs and dicks.

I think strip clubs should be adult only--but because of the sexualizing, not the skin. I don't believe nudity itself causes the slightest harm. Rather, it causes offense to religious minds--but the First Amendment does not protect us from offensive speech as much as the Republicans would like it to.

Everybody's got them. We'd all be better off if we didn't treat them like forbidden fruit.
I'd say I don't understand why you're comparing strip to drag, but I think I do understand.
I think the comparison is being made because they see drag as sexualized.

I, personally, find drag icky. But it isn't dangerous or anything.

Where I stand, also.

And as for strip clubs, I've been a member of naturist clubs. I don't have the tiniest problem with the human form as God made it. As far as I'm concerned, people wear way to much clothing. At least in hot months, like Indiana in July. The problem l have with strip clubs is the sexualising and objectifing, not the boobs and dicks.

I think strip clubs should be adult only--but because of the sexualizing, not the skin. I don't believe nudity itself causes the slightest harm. Rather, it causes offense to religious minds--but the First Amendment does not protect us from offensive speech as much as the Republicans would like it to.

Everybody's got them. We'd all be better off if we didn't treat them like forbidden fruit.
I'd say I don't understand why you're comparing strip to drag, but I think I do understand.
I think the comparison is being made because they see drag as sexualized.

This bizzare push by the left to normalize child sexuality. It's a pedophile's dream come true.
The only child sexuality presented so far as been that beauty pageant picture--and everyone has objected to it.
So can we agree sexualized drag shows are inapproprate for children? And that any adult wanting to do a sexual performance in front of a child is probably a groomer?

Top of my head: It used to be the fact that only males performed in theater, including in the female roles. Including romantic roles.
Lots of comedy. Charley's Aunt was written in 1892. Charlie Chaplin and Laurel both occasionally appeared in drag. Some Like It Hot was a rather famous film (and hilarious, too) where the two male leads spent much of the film in drag--and there is a subtle-as in easy to ignore if you're a censor-hint at a potential gay romance. Mrs. Doubtfire was a very famous family friendly film about a father who impersonated a female nanny and later got a job performing in the same cross dressing role--performing for children on a television show. Cross dressing, almost exclusively males dressing as females, was a frequent plot device. How long has RuPaul's Drag Race been on?

I admit that when I think of drag shows, I generally think of the more bawdy type that would be inappropriate for young children. But then, I don't get out much.

Pantomime has been a central feature of children's entertainment in the UK for hundreds of years; Since WWI, it has become a Christmas tradition (before the Great War it was a year-round thing, but the rise of cinema pushed panto into a niche role as Christmas entertainment).

Drag is one of many essential elements of this highly formulaic genre; Without the pantomime dame, you're not doing pantomime anymore.

It's not new, it's not sexual or sexualised, and it's very much for children. Very few English kids in the last century grew up without being taken to see a pantomime at Christmas. Mostly they're fairly local productions, with maybe one minor TV or even sports star to attract the crowds; But the big West End theatres also put on lavish all-star productions between November and January, often extending into February if they're very popular.

In this thread: Men debate whether or not it's appropriate for men dressed up as overly sexualized caricatures of women are appropriate to showcase for children in the name of "diversity".

Next up: White folks debate whether or not it's appropriate for white actors in blackface to be showcased as entertainment for children in the name of "diversity".

Here's my take on this. Drag is a bunch of male actors in womanface. I find it to be generally offensive and denigrating toward women. And for that reason, I do NOT think it has any place in schools or as children's entertainment... unless you're actually trying to teach children that women are worthless sex objects that should be made fun of.

Not all drag shows are overtly sexual in terms of the performance they put on. But they are almost all overly sexualized caricatures of women. Have you ever seen a drag performer in a nicely tailored suit and loafers? No. They're in skimpy clothing or ballgowns, with exaggerated tits, borderline clownish makeup, and the content is based on mocking femininity, treating women as objects of entertainment. There's nothing even remotely respectful toward women involved in drag shows. Even the language they use is denigrating.

So completely regardless of whether or not the performance of a specific drag actor is explicit... the entire concept is inappropriate in my view. If grown ass adults want to frequent establishments that present misogynistic content, fine, that's on them. But don't shove that in front of kids as if it's "wholesome" and somehow good for kids to be inculcated into viewing half the fucking population as the subject of derisive jokes.

Here's my take on this. Drag is a bunch of male actors in womanface. I find it to be generally offensive and denigrating toward women. And for that reason, I do NOT think it has any place in schools or as children's entertainment... unless you're actually trying to teach children that women are worthless sex objects that should be made fun of.
Drag goes both ways. It's just male-as-female is a lot more common than female-as-male.

Drag queens performing for kiddies fine, the musical “Oliver”, too much to bear;

A woke California school has removed more than 250 first-graders out of the musical Oliver! mid-song and banned other students from seeing the show amid claims it was 'inappropriate'. Principal May Moua, from Kastner Intermediate School, Fresno, stopped seventh and eighth-grade students from attending the school show a day later because of concerns about 'violence, alcohol use and thievery'.

Daily Mail

What an upside down world we inhabit.

an upside down world we inhabit.

Do you understand why I sincerely doubt that
"removed more than 250 first-graders out of the musical Oliver! mid-song and banned other students from seeing the show"
happened?

That a bunch of faux news purveyors sold this crap to their funders?
Tom

Drag queens performing for kiddies fine, the musical “Oliver”, too much to bear;

A woke California school has removed more than 250 first-graders out of the musical Oliver! mid-song and banned other students from seeing the show amid claims it was 'inappropriate'. Principal May Moua, from Kastner Intermediate School, Fresno, stopped seventh and eighth-grade students from attending the school show a day later because of concerns about 'violence, alcohol use and thievery'.

Daily Mail

The article said:
The mass exodus began shortly after Fagin's song of 'Reviewing the Situation',

Okay, I will award points for the aptness of changing your mind during the song 'Reviewing the Situation', but did not a single teacher in the entire school have any familiarity with Oliver! whatsoever?

The film itself is rated 'G' and this production is toned down from the film version.

Also, 'Who Will Buy?' is, in my humble estimation, the greatest song from any musical ever created.

I find women in pannts and shirt and tie highly offnsive. An affront to men everywhere.:D It threatens my sense of masculinity.

I am sure there are hetero drag performers(cross dressers). but I expect the majority are gay.

Daily Mail

Woke? I think the Mail is making their own assumptions about what is woke to trigger people like the Swizzler above.

This sounds no differant to me than the people who want to protect children from "groomers", U.S. history, library books, and the scourge of drug stores selling vibrators. In other words, conservatives.

Daily Mail

Dude, you have clearly never been to the 'burbs of Fresno. There is exactly zero chance that the complaining teachers were liberals, let alone "woke"; they'd be run out of town with a rusty shotgun.

. If grown ass adults want to frequent establishments that present misogynistic content, fine, that's on them. But don't shove that in front of kids as if it's "wholesome" and somehow good for kids to be inculcated into viewing half the fucking population as the subject of derisive jokes.
Well, right. Let kids be kids. Why some adults want to bring children into the world of adult sexually is a mystery. Or, not. The motive seems pretty clear.

Defend Our Kids TX

So group of busy body Karens and Kevins have created a website where scheduled drag show can be reported, and presumably interfered with.

Be a real shame if they were flooded with false reports of scheduled shows, maybe at private parties at the homes of right-wing christian nationalists and politicians. Or church events at churches that practice politics but still take their tax benefits.

Or use your imagination.
I imagine it reduces the work for prosecutors who need to investigate a hate crime. A subpoena to the web host will quickly yield a list of all who accessed the site. Civil Attorneys will also find such information useful when gathering evidence for defamation and harassment suits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom