• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

Maybe it's because Trump may be either in prison and/or stuck in courtrooms if they wait too long? So, now may be the only chance to attend these debates in person?
Meh. It's not too late to Trump to discover the dems cheated in the setup and announce to The Faithful that their clever plot was uncovered and THEY WILL PAY, but "I will not participate in this Democrat scam!"
I am a bit surprised that he hasn't called it off already, but I still estimate the odds of him showing at around 40%
He’s already said “maybe I’ll lose the debate on purpose”. So softening up his base to support him no matter what happens.

From the earlier link:
Trump also endorsed displaying the Ten Commandments in schools and elsewhere while speaking to a group of politically influential evangelical Christians in Washington on Saturday. He drew cheers as he invoked a new law signed in Louisiana this week requiring the Ten Commandments to be displayed in every public school classroom.

“Has anyone read the ‘Thou shalt not steal’? I mean, has anybody read this incredible stuff? It’s just incredible,” Trump said at the gathering of the Faith & Freedom Coalition. “They don’t want it to go up. It’s a crazy world.’’

Trump a day earlier posted an endorsement of the new law on his social media network, saying: “I LOVE THE TEN COMMANDMENTS IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS, PRIVATE SCHOOLS, AND MANY OTHER PLACES, FOR THAT MATTER. READ IT — HOW CAN WE, AS A NATION, GO WRONG???”
Holy crap, he's a moron. And the religiofascists are just lapping it up like dogs.

Maybe it's because Trump may be either in prison and/or stuck in courtrooms if they wait too long? So, now may be the only chance to attend these debates in person?
Meh. It's not too late to Trump to discover the dems cheated in the setup and announce to The Faithful that their clever plot was uncovered and THEY WILL PAY, but "I will not participate in this Democrat scam!"
I am a bit surprised that he hasn't called it off already, but I still estimate the odds of him showing at around 40%
He’s already said “maybe I’ll lose the debate on purpose”. So softening up his base to support him no matter what happens.
Oddly encouraging. Losing his self-confidence?

Well, if you know you're going to lose to your "jacked-up" competition, then you might as well throw it. At least that's how the professionals, do it, right??

His self confidence is at 1 And his insecurity is at 9.
He is trying to normalize the habit representing losing as winning as long as you can say I told you so.

“They always cheat”
- The usual Trumpist projection/admission.

So, why are you having debates before conventions?
What reasons if any was given?
Not that I'm aware of. Conventions these days are usually a formality. 2016 was awkward for the GOP when some delegations voted against Trump. But is pretty early for a debate. Granted, our elections are so strung out, it is becoming a caricature.
For over a half-century, conventions have essentially been coronations, with the real action being in the primaries.

List of Democratic National Conventions and  List of Republican National Conventions - the last Democratic one with more than one vote was in 1952, and the last Republican one in 1948.

Well it is, I explained why.
You did not.
As I said, it is effectively an infomercial for their campaigns. Trump gets the bonus of it is free of charge
Trump does not need publicity.

Anyway, who exactly set the dates of the debates?
Actually, Trump DOES need the screen time. Or thinks he does. For rational people, it won’t matter—they know he’s an idiot. For his supporters, it also won’t matter: they will not notice or care how he rambles.

During the 2016 debate, Hillary clearly bested Trump, but it didn’t matter.

I think the debates are only tradition, spectacle and this year, a macabre game of quien es muy macho?

Well it is, I explained why.
You did not.
As I said, it is effectively an infomercial for their campaigns. Trump gets the bonus of it is free of charge
Trump does not need publicity.

Anyway, who exactly set the dates of the debates?
Actually, Trump DOES need the screen time. Or thinks he does. For rational people, it won’t matter—they know he’s an idiot. For his supporters, it also won’t matter: they will not notice or care how he rambles.

During the 2016 debate, Hillary clearly bested Trump, but it didn’t matter.

I think the debates are only tradition, spectacle and this year, a macabre game of quien es muy macho?

See, that's why Barbos is such a fan of how things work in Russia. There's no debate at all. Just Putin, the opposition candidate, and a window at least 5 stories up.

The greater the opposition, the higher the window?
Honestly, the Russian system seems complicated. Do a little bit of opposing? Maybe you get a little bit of Polonium. Or maybe you find yourself falling out of a window? Do a little bit more? Maybe you find yourself in prison where you die "unexpectedly" like Magnitsky or Navalny. March your mercenary army on Moscow? Everything is fine! Here is private jet to take you to destination! Oops! What tragic thing happened? The method seems to follow no real pattern, but the basics are the same. Oppose Putin? "We here at the Kremlin are looking into this unfortunate incident."

So, why are you having debates before conventions?
What reasons if any was given?
Not that I'm aware of. Conventions these days are usually a formality. 2016 was awkward for the GOP when some delegations voted against Trump. But is pretty early for a debate. Granted, our elections are so strung out, it is becoming a caricature.
For over a half-century, conventions have essentially been coronations, with the real action being in the primaries.

List of Democratic National Conventions and  List of Republican National Conventions - the last Democratic one with more than one vote was in 1952, and the last Republican one in 1948.
Your whole presidential elections has been coronations for the last 30 years.
That's not the question here. The question why debates were moved before conventions now?
It has never happened before I understand and public has a right to know why they did that.

In the olden days, these conventions were sometimes exciting suspense-filled affairs. The Ds chose John Davis as a compromise candidate in 1924 on the 103rd ballot. (Wm McAdoo had received 48% of the vote on the 70th ballot, not quite enough.)

Some say the pols don't want suspense -- it makes the party look indecisive -- and the modern primary system usually picks a winner early. The 1960 Democratic convention was the last convention perhaps where the nominee was in doubt. Three of the top contenders -- LBJ, Stuart Symington and Adlai Stevenson -- had declined to campaign in the primaries, but hoped to win on the convention floor. JFK came to the convention in the lead but without a majority of delegates. Both of JFK's brothers were on the floor campaigning while the 1st ballot voting was on-going. When Wyoming -- the tiny state last in alphabetical order -- cast its votes for Kennedy, eking out his victory, pandemonium erupted.

The real drama of the 1960 Convention took place behind the scenes. JFK offered LBJ the V.P. slot as a courtesy, expecting it to be refused. But LBJ accepted. Brother Bobby then met with LBJ hoping to dissuade him, but LBJ wanted the job. This began a bitter feud between Bobby and LBJ. (And now 64 years later, Bobby's own son has thrown his hat into the 2024 ring, perhaps damaging the present Democratic incumbent. Revenge?)

(Whatever JFK's actual motives, he almost surely would have lost to Nixon without LBJ as running mate to reassure the South.)

Last edited:
So why were debates moved before conventions?
As has been noted, only the first debate will be before the convention (and any candidate who meets the criteria can participate, although only Trump and Biden have done so). It was CNN's idea: https://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/...d-former-president-donald-j-trump-on-june-27/
My guess is this.
Given the current situation, nobody needs a debate. The sooner one is held, the more likely it is to attract eyeballs. That makes it more profitable for people trying to sell their cars and prescription meds and fast food.

Capitalism at it's finest.
Tom

Brandon is getting worse;

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni walked over and guided a wayward President Biden after he strolled away from a photo opportunity at the G7 Thursday. The president and other world leaders were gathered to view parachute jumpers who descended from the sky while displaying the flags of allied nations – in a show of unity and military prowess. Some of the leaders were still clapping as one blue-clad parachutist unhooked some of his gear, when Biden started slowly walking away. At that point Meloni jumped into action, walking over to the president to guide him back to the shot which would show all the leaders together.

Daily Mail

He looks every day of his 81years, he is out of it, totally confused and lost.

He's not going to make it to November.

*edit. To be fair, he has traveled a fair bit the past few days and he is sure to be tired. But still, he is not up to the job of POTUS.
It sounds like President Biden had a moment of confusion at the G7 event, which prompted Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni to help guide him back. While traveling extensively can be exhausting, concerns about his fitness for office are understandable given his age and recent behavior.
Moment of confusion? Really? For saluting someone in jest? Regarding the parachutist, Biden was talking to the parachutist. This was photoshopped.

I'd recommend to people to be suspicious of the media.

The Deceptive Biden G7 video was quickly debunked, but TSwizzle was taken in by it anyway. SAd.
In what way was anything debunked? The old duffer wandered off with that dopey, vacant look on his face. How do you debunk “he looks every day of his 81 years”?
Debunked here in the first minute of the video.

I dunno. I mean, yes, the edited video makes it look worse... but even in the full video it doesn't look good. Biden still wanders off from what he's supposed to be doing, and everyone else in the group looks uncomfortable by it. That person in pink still has to go retrieve him and redirect his attention back to what he's supposed to be paying attention to.

I get what you're saying here... but I'm not sure there's a meaningful difference to most of the independents in the country. It's a choice between:
Biden got confused and wandered off and made everyone else look confused and uncomfortable until someone retrieved him and brought him back to the important thing he was supposed to be paying attention to.
and
Biden got distracted by something else and wandered off and made everyone else look confused and uncomfortable until someone retrieved him and brought him back to the important thing he was supposed to be paying attention to.

Brandon is getting worse;

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni walked over and guided a wayward President Biden after he strolled away from a photo opportunity at the G7 Thursday. The president and other world leaders were gathered to view parachute jumpers who descended from the sky while displaying the flags of allied nations – in a show of unity and military prowess. Some of the leaders were still clapping as one blue-clad parachutist unhooked some of his gear, when Biden started slowly walking away. At that point Meloni jumped into action, walking over to the president to guide him back to the shot which would show all the leaders together.

Daily Mail

He looks every day of his 81years, he is out of it, totally confused and lost.

He's not going to make it to November.

*edit. To be fair, he has traveled a fair bit the past few days and he is sure to be tired. But still, he is not up to the job of POTUS.
It sounds like President Biden had a moment of confusion at the G7 event, which prompted Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni to help guide him back. While traveling extensively can be exhausting, concerns about his fitness for office are understandable given his age and recent behavior.
Moment of confusion? Really? For saluting someone in jest? Regarding the parachutist, Biden was talking to the parachutist. This was photoshopped.

I'd recommend to people to be suspicious of the media.

The Deceptive Biden G7 video was quickly debunked, but TSwizzle was taken in by it anyway. SAd.
In what way was anything debunked? The old duffer wandered off with that dopey, vacant look on his face. How do you debunk “he looks every day of his 81 years”?
Debunked here in the first minute of the video.

I dunno. I mean, yes, the edited video makes it look worse... but even in the full video it doesn't look good. Biden still wanders off from what he's supposed to be doing, and everyone else in the group looks uncomfortable by it. That person in pink still has to go retrieve him and redirect his attention back to what he's supposed to be paying attention to.

I get what you're saying here... but I'm not sure there's a meaningful difference to most of the independents in the country. It's a choice between:
Biden got confused and wandered off and made everyone else look confused and uncomfortable until someone retrieved him and brought him back to the important thing he was supposed to be paying attention to.
and
Biden got distracted by something else and wandered off and made everyone else look confused and uncomfortable until someone retrieved him and brought him back to the important thing he was supposed to be paying attention to.

The real difference is between a decent, competent 81 year old man who surrounds himself by competent people who are dedicated to upholding the US Constitution and a vile, corrupt, indecent 78 yo wannabe dictator who surrounds himself by incompetents and increasingly by proponents of Project 2025 who want to change the US into a theocracy with their personal version of what God is and wants.

Now, why do you have debates before conventions? What's the purpose of that?

How are the Presidential debates in Russia working out for you?
Why do you have debates before conventions? What's the purpose of that?
Nobody seems to think you're asking an honest question here. But I'm going to give you my understanding of the purpose.

In the past, it hasn't been so starkly divided. In some prior debates, there have been third party candidates included, and IIRC in some there have even been more than one Republican or Democratic contender. The debate gives the public a chance to assess the various candidates... and if one of them completely flubs it the convention hypothetically gives the party an opportunity to change their mind and put forth a different candidate.

The real difference is between a decent, competent 81 year old man who surrounds himself by competent people who are dedicated to upholding the US Constitution and a vile, corrupt, indecent 78 yo wannabe dictator who surrounds himself by incompetents and increasingly by proponents of Project 2025 who want to change the US into a theocracy with their personal version of what God is and wants.
Yep. And that's why I'm standing behind my fictional candidate, Frozen Bag of Tomatoes, as a more viable candidate than some yam colored shitpants who has to pay women large sums of money to engage in vomitous coitus with him

Back
Top Bottom