• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

No, thank you. Do not like french fries.

French fries in an Italian dish. Blasphemy.
Our version is a crumbed chicken breast fillet, cooked, and topped with ham, parmigiana sauce and cheese, which is grilled until melted. Slices of avocado are sometimes added as well. (That is the blasphemy part IMO).

It is a ‘pub meal’, and comes with chips and a side salad (usually lettuce, cucumber, tomatoe, grated carrot and sliced red onion with a vinaigrette dressing). Most pub meals do come with chips and salad. Or mash and veg. They are simple foods that are nutritious and easy to produce in large quantities. Other examples of pub meals are: fish and chips, grilled Barra and chips/salad, rump steak, & bangers and mash. These are generally around the $20 mark and are quite substantial meals.

French fries in an Italian dish. Blasphemy.
What are you on about? Chicken Parmy with chips* and salad is 100% pure Australian cuisine. It's practically our national dish**. ;)

*Frenched and fried potatoes - subsequently contracted to "French fries" - were invented in Belgium; They are nothing to do with France, frenching is a culinary technique that consists of slicing vegetables into long thin strips. They are called "chips", but sometimes referred to as "hot chips", where it is possible that they could be confused with "chips", which are (obviously) completely different.

**The chief competitors being Barra and Chips, and Nachos. There's nothing as purely Aussie as Nachos.

Last edited:
Just finished my dinner, which was an open face sandwich with hummus and salad with blue and blackberries for dessert. Delicious and filling. I am on Day 5 of a plant based whole food diet (no animal products, oil or sugar) out of necessity (more on that later) and I can feel a difference already.

A typical pub meal menu. This one is actually from the pub about 1.5km away from our house.

View attachment 46586View attachment 46587
$15 for 6 chicken wings - in a PUB?
It only looks expensive because you are used to prices in US$ (AU$15 is about US$10), and that don't include the waitstaff wages or sales taxes. The price on a menu here is the total sum of money that you pay, with no additional tips, taxes, or other hidden expectations or requirements.
No wonder Vegemite is your National Dish!
We have to eat Vegemite, to repel the drop-bears.

I just realized that almost everything we eat is ethnic food of many varieties. Well, last night I got Mr. Sohy to make us a chicken and broccoli stir fry, not exactly ethnic, but something new. It was pretty good. It had ginger, garlic, honey rice vinegar and I don't remember what else. I guess it was sort of Asian.

Today we had Japanese. I had a California roll with a big side of teriyaki vegetables. At least half of my meals are vegan or vegetarian, but due to my chronic anemic and borderline protein levels, I have to eat some meat and I'm not even a fan of meat. I read an article in Scientific American the other day that said there is no right. type of diet for everyone. I believe it. I do best with mostly vegan and small portions of meat or fish.

We had Chinese takeout two or three times this past week, usually honey or sesame chicken. I made fresh steamed vegetables to go with it.

I had a falafel wrapped in pita bread with hummus and vegetables one day for lunch, while he had Italian at a local restaurant owned by a charming Lebanese immigrant. She and Mr. Sohy shared Arabic swear words with a lot of laughter, since his mom spoke fluent Arabic but never taught it to him. We don't have an Indian or Korean restaurants in the area, so that's about it.

One day I went out by myself and had pizza for lunch, and to be honest, that's about all I remember, other than having the same Japanese dish another day for lunch. Oh wait. I think Mr. Sohy made me my favorite version of breaded baked shrimp with an orange dipping sauce, and now that I think of it, I had a burger one night to get my weekly dose of red meat with a side of rice and fresh veggies. We always have lots of vegetables. Tonight we are lazy, so it will be frozen dinners. I might go with a cheese and spinach ravioli with a side of fresh steamed veggies. That way I feel like I'm eating real food. :)

I'm cutting down on my sweets, but I need the calories so I still indulge in a couple of cookies a day and a small serving of ice cream.

Because of my upcoming upthebumthing I am on a low residue/low fibre diet. It limits what I can eat. @bilby is being amazing and following it also so that I don’t have to prepare two completely different meals. The only real diff is if I cook sausages for him, I will bake a salmon or Barra fillet in the oven. Sausages see a no no due to fibre and spices. :( I miss them. I love s good banger and mash!

Tonight we will have a cheese platter. I am allowed cheese, and bought some nice sliced ham off the bone to go with instead of salami and pepperoni and other sliced meats. I also bought plane(ish) cracker - again fibre. I can’t add the usual semi dried tomatoes, pickles etc for me, but can put them out for Bilby.

Back
Top Bottom