• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Race For 2024

The media is focusing on Bidens performance while he was quite apparently ill but ignoring the lies spewed by TFG.
"Trump Told Us Some Lies" generated plenty of Adsense clicks in 2008. But it is not 2008, and the public is beyond bored with that story. What's the media supposed to do, take one for the team?

Last edited:
Polling before and after the debate. Biden is up significantly in Michigan.

Screenshot 2024-07-10 122909.jpg

Increases for Biden in four of the seven states.

If Biden has’one foot in the glue factory,’ how should we characterize the other candidate, three years younger, who, for years has been rumored to suffer fecal incontinence, and who has been rumored, for years, to take copious amounts ts of adderall and other prescription medications for which he may/may not have a prescription, who was a frequent flyer with Jeffrey Epstein, who has been adjudicated as rapist, who has been credibly accused of sexual assault, including that of a minor child ( I don’t remember if she was 12 or 13), who has stolen government documents to and who is strongly suspected of sharing those documents with hostile foreign governments ts, who is known to have bragged and shown such documents casually to guests at Mar A Largo and whose son is frequently videotaped while apparently try high on cocaine and/or other assorted drugs and who Has been credibly suspected of numerous accounts of fraud, aside from the 34 felony counts he was found guilty of committing?

Trump often appears to be suffering from dementia.

Why is his candidacy not called more into question?

It has been called into question for years and years and years and years. What we find is that the MAGAtards DON’T CARE, and probably even support him more because he is evil and incompetent. The focus on Biden is because of the desperate desire of non-MAGAts to keep this evil, corrupt and incompetent psychopathic swindler from returning to the White House to finish the job he started of gutting what remains of our democracy. People are desperately concerned that Biden is not up to the task of winning this election, and I think they are right to be concerned.
I don't think this is a MAGAtards issue. It's a media issue. The media is focusing on Bidens performance while he was quite apparently ill but ignoring the lies spewed by TFG.

It makes me wonder if they really want Trump to win because he brings eyes and ears to their platforms which means more money for them. That'll do them a lot of good when Trump tries to have the "fake media" shut down with his new Supreme Court granted powers.
Yeah, I think that is a likely motivation. Plus the time honored race to be the first to report on THE breaking news of the moment.

Here’s where I think the calls for Biden to step aside fall apart:

In whose favor? Harris is the most likely heir apparent. She’s also who would take over should Biden be unable to continue his duties. So why preemptively dump Biden when the next best chance for winning 2024 is already on board and on deck?

If Harris is not the new candidate, then who? Who else has a reasonable chance of winning this election?

And why were these concerns not forthcoming during primary season?

Does this remind anybody a little of Thomas Eagleton? And how did that election turn out?

This comes across as a too clever for Trump to have figured it out but definitely a plot to ensure Trump 2024 victory. Whose plot?

BTW, Trump’s insistence on drug testing prior to the debate? Seems like a way to cover up Biden being slipped a little something that would impair his performance but not actually endanger his life. Again, too clever for Trump but not for those using him as a front for their ambitions.

I don't think this is a MAGAtards issue. It's a media issue. The media is focusing on Bidens performance while he was quite apparently ill but ignoring the lies spewed by TFG.

It makes me wonder if they really want Trump to win because he brings eyes and ears to their platforms which means more money for them. That'll do them a lot of good when Trump tries to have the "fake media" shut down with his new Supreme Court granted powers.

Having worked in journalism since I was sixteen years old, and having worked for three major daily newspapers, I feel I can speak with some authority on some of the things some people are saying in various threads.

Someone recently characterized journalists as “a pack of lazy cunts,” or some such nicety. In all my years in journalism I have known only two such. One guy wrote a review of a play he never saw, which made it into print. His duplicity was discovered when it developed that the play had been cancelled for some reason.

The other guy became world famous for a while, because of the paper that he (and I) worked for. A foreign correspondent, it turned out that he was filing stories that he made up while sitting in his apartment. I knew him well. He was a great, fun guy. Many a night we drank together at the bar around the corner. I was shocked and saddened to discover what he had done, and it certainly was not covered up. It produced a journalistic earthquake.

And that’s it. Some reporters, editors, photographers, etc., were better than others, but all of us were hard working and passionate about our work because we were devoted to telling the public the truth about the world as near as we could discern it.

Another reporter I worked closely with was held hostage by the Taliban for a long time. He was in Afghanistan reporting on the war. Journalists have died on duty. They put their lives on the line to inform the people. These are not “lazy cunts.” Right now we have a Wall Street Journal reporter languishing in a Russian jail because he was doing his job. I’m sure Barbos is very happy about that.

People certainly don’t go into journalism for money, because there is a lot more to be made elsewhere. They go into it for love.

It’s really wrong to lump “the media” together as if it were some monolith. It’s highly varied. You also have to distinguish between TV journalism and newsprint. What we have seen is the rise of right-wing media, like Fox News, which is really not about journalism but propaganda. I suspect sone of the shoe-leather journalists who work there are embarrassed to do so. Unlike Fox News, most mainstream news outlets, especially in print, strive for accuracy and for holding public officials accountable. An old saw by journalists is that their mission is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Since “the media” is not a monolith, it’s impossible for them to “want” Trump to win. But what is also true is that the vast majority of rank-and-file reporters that I have worked with have been politically liberal. A generation of journos, including myself, were inspired by the way Woodward and Bernstein nailed Nixon.

The New York Times, the Washington Post and many other news outlets have been striving avidly to nail Trump for years. It can’t be done, because the country has changed. Half the country has fallen under the hypnotic spell of Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, and the rest of the right-wing echo chamber. This is no longer the nation that turned to Walter Cronkite virtually as one for their TV news.

What should worry everyone is the changing economics of journalism. Small, independent dailies are vanishing all over the country, being bought up, downsized, and ultimately vanished by rapacious conglomerates. The internet is doing its part to destroy daily print journalism as well. But although many publishers are conservative, it does not follow that they influence news coverage. If they tried, their liberal staff would bite back hard. Most mainstream papers maintain a firm separation between publishers and the newsroom, and between the advertising department and the newsroom. And the functions of the editorial board are also kept separate from the newsroom, and from the op-ed columnists.

A lot of people complain about “both siderism,” the so-called “he said/she said” school of reporting. But it’s important that this be done. It’s often said the daily journalists are writing “the first draft of history,” and because it is the first draft, reporters can get things wrong. They have to get both sides of the story because it takes time to dig out the truth, and you can’t just favor one side over the other at the risk of getting it wrong.

But this “both siderism” is deeply misunderstood in so many ways. An example: over at Pharyngula, P.Z. Myers has been complaining for years about a Times reporter who, in the early 2000s, had a front-page piece published about young-earth creationist tours of the Grand Canyon. The creationists were telling tourists how the canyon was the product of a planet 6,000 years old.

He claimed, and still claims to this very day, that The Times was employing “both siderism,” in the piece, placing an old earth and a young, creationist earth on equal footing. He was and is flat wrong. As I tried to explain to him on his blog, the article was not a science piece. It was a sociological piece, examining the phenomenon of the increasing infiltration of YECs into the public and private sphere to spread their nonsense. The writer of the article explicitly stated that geologists all agree that the earth is some 4.6 billion years old. P.Z. was, and is, having none of that, and he has continued to personally attack the reporter, to the extent of even doxing her.

There’s a lot more to be said, but I’ll stop here.

Good writeup, straight from the horses mouth, thanks. I think I recall the guy you are referring to in the third paragraph. It was from the NYT, and his name was Jason I think. Also, African American IIRC. That was a huge story at the time. Whatever happened to him? Hopefully, he has mended his ways and is back on his feet.

Anyone makes such allegations - true or false - is a victim of something.
No. If the allegations are false, the accuser is a perpetrator. The falsely accused is the victim.
Psychologically well-adjusted people do not make false allegations. Something happened to this woman to cause this. That something (or someone) may not be part of the allegations. But I think she is a victim of something or someone.
Disagree--some people make false allegations to cover up something.

And some do so through plain malice.

However, I doubt either applies in this case.
IMO, neither of your exceptions are examples of psychological well-adjusted personality.
Yes, but you prejudged the merits because you don't know why it was dismissed.
It was dismissed because she filed it in pro per and messed up on the legal issues. That does not mean that there was any merit to it.
Which does not mean that the allegations are untrue. Duh.
I think his point is that a pro per filing on a case asking for a lot of money basically indicates the legal world concluded she didn't have a chance.
Which is irrelevant to the discussion of whether or not something actually happened.
If it is a criminal complaint, then the investigating authorities have her name and can investigate. If it is a civil complaint, the defendants' lawyers can get the information to scrutinize the complaint before trial.
If allegations of a heinous crime are made against a public person, there should be a public scrutiny of the claims. Especially when it is a presidential candidate and the claims are made in an election year. I do not think there should be anonymous allegations made against Biden either - that too would be highly suspect.
Why should "public people" get special treatment? If it is legal, then it is legal.
The problem is that public people are the target of a lot more false allegations.
You have data to support your claim? I suspect you are just aware of false allegations against "public people" because they are reported in the media.

Last edited:
Good writeup, straight from the horses mouth, thanks. I think I recall the guy you are referring to in the third paragraph. It was from the NYT, and his name was Jason I think. Also, African American IIRC. That was a huge story at the time.

Yes. Jayson.

The problem isn't journalists. There are too many of them, each with his or her own political positions, for them to steer public opinion.

The problem is media owners. These guys are both few in number, and of similar lifestyles and social circles (and, consequently, attitudes and beliefs).

The media is utterly dominated by a handful of rich and influential white men, who became rich and influential by reporting on chaos.

They have a massive interest in seeing more chaos; And they have the wealth and power to pursue that interest.

The institutions that they own are varied in the degree of direct influence the owner has, with some "traditional" outlets being editorially independent, and striving to publish impartial and accurate news.

But the most popular outlets are those least able to avoid the temptation to stir-up public opinion; They are the ones which spend a few words on the facts, and many more on telling their audience how to feel about those facts.

Compare:

The Forensic Crash Unit is investigating following a fatal bus and pedestrian traffic crash in Brisbane City yesterday evening, March 8.

Initial investigations indicate just after 5pm, a bus was travelling along Edward Street before it left the road and struck an 18-year-old female pedestrian before colliding with a nearby building.

Emergency services arrived at the scene a short time later, where the 18-year-old Hemmant woman was declared deceased.

The driver of the bus and four passengers sustained minor injuries and were taken to hospital for assessment.

The above is the official police press release. Here's how it was reported by Channel Nine News:

An 18-year-old woman has died after being pinned by a bus against a building in a horror crash in Brisbane's CBD.

The bus driver lost control of the vehicle and mounted a kerb in Brisbane's CBD just after 5pm, trapping the teenager against the ANZAC Square Arcade.

Emergency services rushed to the scene at the corner of Edward Street and Ann Street with paramedics attempting to treat the young woman for life-threatening injuries.

The woman died at the scene, police said, with the forensic crash unit now investigating.

Only nine people were on the bus at the time of the crash with all passengers assessed by paramedics.

Queensland Police confirmed the woman was from the Brisbane suburb Hemmant.

"The driver of the bus and four passengers sustained minor injuries and were taken to hospital for assessment," Queensland Police said in a statement.

Queensland Ambulance Service said the driver was "suffering the effects of shock".

Nine ambulance crews attended the incident, described by Senior Sergeant Steve Watterson as a "horrendous scene".

Premier Steven Miles extended his condolences to the family on social media.

"I'm saddened to hear the news that a woman has died after a bus was involved in a serious crash in Brisbane CBD this evening," he posted on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter.

"Our thoughts go out to all those involved."

Brisbane Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner also issued a statement following the "truly devastating incident".

"My heart goes out to everyone impacted by this tragedy," he said.

"Hearing this news has absolutely shocked me and I'm sure the entire Brisbane community will be feeling this tonight.

"None of us going about our daily lives ever expect anything like this."

The bus was towed away from the scene around 9pm local time (10pm AEDT) after significant traffic delays in the area for several hours.

Note that Channel Nine are quick to tell us that we need to feel "horror"; Presumably their viewers and readers would be at a loss as to how to react to this event without that prompt, nor the subsequent information that emergency services "rushed to the scene", which was "horrendous", "devastating" and has left people "shocked". I for one am everso glad that they told me how to feel about it all. :rolleyesa:

Note also that they are keen to advertise the (nonexistent) roles of the local politicians, and to chuck in a plug for "X, the platform formerly known as Twitter".

And, just in case leading with it wasn't sufficient to persuade the audience of the horror, they point out repeatedly that "An 18-year-old woman has died"; "the teenager"; "the young woman has died"...

I count four statements about the victim's age, and a further six mentions of her death and/or injuries. Not bad for such a short article.

And this is a simple report about a fatal traffic crash. It's not political, or controversial, except in the most trivial sense that all events are, or can be made, political (as their needless quoting of the Mayor and State Premier, both of whom also indulged in emotive language, indicates).

Note that Channel Nine are quick to tell us that we need to feel "horror"; Presumably their viewers and readers would be at a loss as to how to react to this event without that prompt, nor the subsequent information that emergency services "rushed to the scene", which was "horrendous", "devastating" and has left people "shocked". I for one am everso glad that they told me how to feel about it all. :rolleyesa:

Note also that they are keen to advertise the (nonexistent) roles of the local politicians, and to chuck in a plug for "X, the platform formerly known as Twitter".

And, just in case leading with it wasn't sufficient to persuade the audience of the horror, they point out repeatedly that "An 18-year-old woman has died"; "the teenager"; "the young woman has died"...

I count four statements about the victim's age, and a further six mentions of her death and/or injuries. Not bad for such a short article.

And this is a simple report about a fatal traffic crash. It's not political, or controversial, except in the most trivial sense that all events are, or can be made, political (as their needless quoting of the Mayor and State Premier, both of whom also indulged in emotive language, indicates).

TV news, especially local news, is a very different thing from print journalism, at least the non-tabloid variety of print journalism. Sensationalism is the name of the game on TV.

As to the rest, it’s true that most publishers are wealthy white elites and many, though not all, are deeply conservative. But as mentioned, most large, mainstream dailies maintain a firm separation between the publisher and the newsroom. Attempts by the publisher to force his views onto a bunch of liberal reporters would not end well in most cases.

The are many newspaper rags. One of them is the New York Post, owned, unsurprisingly, by Rupert Murdoch. Its news coverage is infused with a MAGA slant, and all of its op-ed columnists are MAGAtards. As I say, the media industry is far from a monolith.

Trump often appears to be suffering from dementia.

Why is his candidacy not called more into question?
Even in Australia I am well aware that Trump's candidacy is/has/will be called into question. To say his candidacy is not being called into question is just being disingenuous.

(PS: to avoid certain accusations I will say out loud for the studio audience that I would never vote for some like Trump.)
No, it’s not. At the same time Biden’s debate performance was called a sign of significant cognitive decline, not one major news organization has pointed out Trump’s reliance on a few catch phrases and his extremely limited vocabulary as likely signs of dementia—not to mention his documented difficulty reading or speaking in public ( or private). Sure, it’s talked about but it’s not being reported in.
If it is being said by a reporter then it is being reported as well as said.
Perhaps the confusion (at least on my part) is that so many are calling Trump's candidacy into question for a multitude of reasons - financial probity, fitness, age (78 at least?), erraticness etc. etc. And again despite my location I have heard of questions as to his possible dementia, senility raised.
The question of Trump's dementia/senility has been raised in this thread, hasn't it?

The other candidate wants to be a dictator and the Supreme Court just gave him their blessing.
Why is it so hard to avoid ridiculously disingenuous hyperbolization? Can you not defend your position and your candidate without such rhetoric?
Why is it so hard to avoid inexcusable ignorance and using it as an argument "that's not true because I haven't been paying attention"? Can you not watch the fucking news and stop sticking your head in the sand?

The other candidate wants to be a dictator and the Supreme Court just gave him their blessing.
Why is it so hard to avoid ridiculously disingenuous hyperbolization? Can you not defend your position and your candidate without such rhetoric?
Another case of you not paying attention but trying to speak authoritatively.

How about you post some actual real definitive proof of the Supreme Court giving Trump their blessing to be a dictator, rather than just asserting it to be true and expecting that everyone will accept your interpretation to be 100% accurate and unbiased truth?

How about you post some actual real definitive proof of the Supreme Court giving Trump their blessing to be a dictator, rather than just asserting it to be true and expecting that everyone will accept your interpretation to be 100% accurate and unbiased truth?

I can't think of anyone who has more recklessly destroyed his own life, and now he's influencing his father on the future of this country? Maybe Joe really does believe that Hunter is "the smartest guy I know." :eek:
I can only think of a few people who have fucked up their lives worse than Hunter has fucked up his life.
But I'd VASTLY prefer Hunter Biden for President (or you or me for President), before the Republican wannabe dictator.
The unbridled greed, mendacity, cruelty and lust for power of one candidate would totally make me hope that their sheer incompetence would prevent the actual worst from happening. (As it narrowly did last time that mistake was made. Only a million "excess" American deaths seems like a small price to pay in retrospect.).
I admit to being puzzled by your comment that you would vastly prefer Hunter Biden as president (presumably over Trump). He is a convicted felon, like Trump is he not?
You complain incessantly that Trump is a convicted felon yet say that you would vastly prefer to have a different convicted felon as president.
And Hunter B by his actions has shown that he has unbridled greed, mendacity, cruelty and lust for power. That should disqualify him from consideration.

Back
Top Bottom