• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

What Are You Eating Today?

An update (mainly for @gmbteach). I ran in guns blazing thinking I was going to learn some Indian cooking this year. But most of the dishes are too spicy for our boys, and too complicated to make alongside a separate meal. I've made a few egg and dal dishes, but that's pretty much it.

Contrast that to before we had 2 kids and I was doing a lot of interesting cooking.
I can understand. It’s interesting in that since I have been working part time, and doing much more to look after my parents, we are having take away, or easy to do dinners at home, and so not really experimenting much. Oh well.

I am still experimenting with my potato/veg bakes, but that’s about it.

An update (mainly for @gmbteach). I ran in guns blazing thinking I was going to learn some Indian cooking this year. But most of the dishes are too spicy for our boys, and too complicated to make alongside a separate meal. I've made a few egg and dal dishes, but that's pretty much it.

Contrast that to before we had 2 kids and I was doing a lot of interesting cooking.
I can understand. It’s interesting in that since I have been working part time, and doing much more to look after my parents, we are having take away, or easy to do dinners at home, and so not really experimenting much. Oh well.

I am still experimenting with my potato/veg bakes, but that’s about it.

I pretty much gave up on making interesting meals entirely and our lives have been easier because of it. But having practiced so much over the past few years I can at least make the simple stuff with a bit of flair now.

Spicy "drunken noodles". I finally found a place in Minnesota that is actually capable of making spicy food, and like, not just "spicy" but GOOD spicy, like it makes you cry twice.

I've been craving more for a week and it is finally time...

So, I tried a raw habanero today, knowing that I have enjoyed hot peppers in the past before, and because I enjoy really spicy food (I tried those drunken noodles at a "5" instead of "make me cry" and it wasn't as good).

I was not prepared for how bad it burned, although it is currently giving me exactly the stomach taste/feel I was hoping for.

Maybe one of these days I'll be popping them like jalapenos, but not yet...

I am currently busy eating an entire box of Little Debbie Snickerdoodle cream pies. At work I had some cream of potato soup with crackers, and then had a big ice cream sundae.

Great diet, ey? Bowl of soup, ice cream, and tons of cakey creamy cake stuff.

So, I tried a raw habanero today, knowing that I have enjoyed hot peppers in the past before, and because I enjoy really spicy food (I tried those drunken noodles at a "5" instead of "make me cry" and it wasn't as good).

I was not prepared for how bad it burned, although it is currently giving me exactly the stomach taste/feel I was hoping for.

You reminded me of two experiences with hot peppers. Unlike you, I don't like and can't tolerate spicy foods, so they are never on my menu, but.....I was living in San Antonio, Tx. in the early 70s when my ex was drafted. My neighbor and I had never heard of jalapeños before, so she decided to cook some up. Then we tasted them. OMG! We had no idea how hot they were, especially when cooked. Never again.

I have two parrots, both in their 30s. The little cockatoo has always loved very spicy foods so once I bought some habaneros just for her. She loved them, but I made the mistake of kissing her on her beak. Again...OMG, I thought my lips would burn off. I have no idea how anyone can tolerate those things, but hopefully you will find a way to make them to your satisfaction and they won't burn your insides. 🌶️

I just had some pizza for lunch, extra crispy, thin crust, no cheese with lots of pineapple, onions and ham. I know that's weird too, but my husband and I love it that way. To each their own. We eat it in the same restaurant at least once a week and they know exactly how we like it, so we're never disappointed.

Shoping at Wally World and they had small waffle makers for $9.99. Such a deal. So I got one, waffle mix, eggs, butter and syrup. I didn't think to get blueberries, but I have some frozen blackberries. I will probebly make big batches and freeze a few. I will also get a pint of cream and do some whipped cream.

You reminded me of two experiences with hot peppers. Unlike you, I don't like and can't tolerate spicy foods, so they are never on my menu, but.....I was living in San Antonio, Tx. in the early 70s when my ex was drafted. My neighbor and I had never heard of jalapeños before, so she decided to cook some up. Then we tasted them. OMG! We had no idea how hot they were, especially when cooked. Never again.

I have two parrots, both in their 30s. The little cockatoo has always loved very spicy foods so once I bought some habaneros just for her. She loved them, but I made the mistake of kissing her on her beak. Again...OMG, I thought my lips would burn off. I have no idea how anyone can tolerate those things, but hopefully you will find a way to make them to your satisfaction and they won't burn your insides. 🌶️

I just had some pizza for lunch, extra crispy, thin crust, no cheese with lots of pineapple, onions and ham. I know that's weird too, but my husband and I love it that way. To each their own. We eat it in the same restaurant at least once a week and they know exactly how we like it, so we're never disappointed.
Birds can't taste the capsaicin that makes chillies taste 'hot' to mammals, as they lack the particular pain receptor to which capsaicin binds.

Chillies evolved their heat as a mechanism to reduce their consumption by mammals, while encouraging their consumption by birds, as birds spread the chilli seeds effectively, but mammals digest most of them. Tomatoes took the opposite approach, and made seeds that could survive mammalian digestive tracts, while making their fruit more palatable to mammals.

Birds like chillies because they evolved a symbiosis where chillies gain from being eaten by birds; Evolution has tailored chillies specifically to taste good to your parrots, and not to you (but humans are always subverting plants' defences against our exploitation of them).

This morning my breakfast sandwich.

Cook an egg flat like an omlette. On bread the folded egg with cucumber and chesse and a touch of sesame dressing.

I think I will eat the left over sesame chicken and mixed steamed veggies that Mr. Sohy picked up at the nearest Chinese restaurant last night. He's making a stir fry with beef and broccoli tonight.

We are having this for breakfast….

IMG_5854.jpeg

We found a cafe about 500m from where we are staying…..

The mashed potato stick/log is amazing.

FYI this was yesterday…see no reason not to have it today. It set us up yesterday for the whole day.

Went to my bank to deal with an expiring debit card. I went the next door Jack In The Box for a handful of tacos and some onion rings. I got two orders of onion rings and pigged out on that. Had a Corona Familiar beer.

The boys are at a concert at TD Garden in Boston. So I cooked chicken legs bone in on the grill. The boys don't like to have chicken bone in. Do you remember a time when your parents ate what they liked and you either learned to eat it too or go hungry?

The boys are at a concert at TD Garden in Boston. So I cooked chicken legs bone in on the grill. The boys don't like to have chicken bone in. Do you remember a time when your parents ate what they liked and you either learned to eat it too or go hungry?
My favorite chicken cut is the leg.

Yeah. My parents grew up during the Great Depression and you not only ate what was on the plate, you cleaned it.

My sister and I had a secret deal—although our mom must have known since we did not have a garbage disposal that, since it was our job to clear the table and wash and dry dishes, we’d secretly scrape whatever the other couldn’t bear to eat into the garbage. Pretty much our sole collaborative efforts from birth to the present.

Back
Top Bottom